Wednesday 1 July 2015

On your travels for Countryview Crafts

Hello everyone and happy July!
This month the lovely Trace has chosen the theme of "On Your Travels", - perfect of course for this time of year with school holidays and many people off on their holidays no doubt.
I decided to take a somewhat different twist to the theme and created a hanger that symbolises more of an inner rather than an outer journey. After all, not everyone can go travelling and sometimes inner journeys can be even more important than outer ones.

I started with a small paper mache hanging from my stash, and covered it with some scrapbook paper to have a good surface to use inks on.
To add a bit more interest I adhered a couple of strips of book paper with gel medium and also added some texture by pressing some paper down in the gel and then lifting it up.
I then inked around the edges with Walnut Stain Distress ink Below you can see a close up of the texture, the photo was taken when the gel medium was still wet. It will dry completely clear but the texture remains and you can bring it out with sprays and inks.
I decided to add more texture with the help of one of Tim Holtz's layering stencils and some modelling paste and then added more depth of colour with Walnut Stain  Distress Ink Spray.
I love how the spray seeps into the textures created with the gel and modelling paste.
Time for a focal image. I stamped a ship stamp (Sheena Douglass) onto tissue paper and adhered it in position on my hanger with gel medium. I also added the word Explore with the Tim Holtz Thinlets word dies.

As you can see, I added some white highlights to make the words pop a bit more and  also stamped the word Journey from the same Sheena stamp set.
The final touch was to add a few Tim Holtz remnant rubs.
Well, I hope you like my somewhat different "On Your Travels" project, please hop over to the Countryview Challenge blog to be inspired with what my talented teamies have created. And if you can, please join us in our challenge!
Enjoy your travels where ever they take you! Thanks for visiting

27 comments:

chrissie said...

A magical idea for the theme. I just love this type of image and the background is amazing. Thank you for showing how you made it

Love Chrissie xx

Valerie-Jael said...

Fantastic tag, great texture. Valerie

Deborah Wainwright said...

Love your board Astrid. All that texture looks fab with the spray stain. I love the depth of colour you achieved xx

froebelsternchen said...

This is simply FANTASTIC Astrid.. this ship is a great motif and in your hands it becomes a treasure!

Anonymous said...

Beautifully done Astrid! Fabulous texture as always, really like this one. Karen.x

Anneke said...

What a beautiful hanger.
I really love the first part of your words
about inner journay. It's so true.
Because you wrote this I know you a bit more.
You are a beautiful person. And your tag is amazing.

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

What a great dramatic tag Astrid...impressive!
All the best, Alie

Patty O'Malley said...

Love the details on this hanging!

Pamellia said...

Wow Astrid, this is a real beauty! I really love that ship image and all your texture and rich colours have created such a wonderfully atmospheric scene, I am just swooning! hugs :)

Gitte said...

Wow it looks great.

Mary Elizabeth said...

Absolutely -- inner journeys can some times take us farther than outer ones! What an incredible way to illustrate that with this piece. Love the texture you got with the gel medium and texture paste. That rich deep color from the stain gets into all those nooks and crannies! Great backdrop for the Sheena Douglass stamp. Truly and "expedition" of the soul! -- Mary Elizabeth

Dorthe said...

It is a gorgeous project, Astrid,_
- oh the texture you are creating, it is stunning, your background ,for the old ship !!!
And you are so right, Inner travels can be so importent !!
Hugs, Dorthe

sarascloset said...

Oh, Astrid, how I love this piece! Your texture is amazing as always, and I'm so happy you shared both your steps and those wonderful close up shots! Great quote at your header, and your thoughts on inner journeys so inspirational! Lovely post, lovely artwork! Hugs! PS thank you for all your encouraging comments on my blog...you have really made me feel special!

Corrie Herriman said...

Absolutely stunning !
Corrie x

Redanne said...

A gorgeous project full of wonderful texture! Hugs, Anne xx

Meggymay said...

A fabulous project Astrid, super textures and Viking boat.
Yvonne xx

Lynne Moncrieff said...

The perfection of the texture and as always, your skilled use of inks makes this such an inspirational post.
Wishes
Lynne

rachel said...

an awesome make Astrid - the texture is truely stunning - love it - and the stamping looks beautiful. A great make - hugs Rachel x

experiments in paper said...

Astrid - I LOVE this tag!! The colors are incredible, with all the blending and the light areas....and your texture just pops! The ship image is perfect to depict the internal journey (which resonates for me at the moment). Fabulous make - thank you for the inspiration, and your visits - your comments also inspire me! xx Lynn

Maryann Laursen said...

More amazing work here too Astrid. You just never disappoint, no matter what the challenge are, then you always makes it soo perfect, and also here today. I love how you put this together here

Brenda Brown said...

LOve this Astrid ad the deeper meaning behind it. xxx

Scrumplescrunch said...

Hello Astrid,
As always in your work, it is the texture that grabs the eye; this looks wonderful.
Smiles:)
Sue

Words and Pictures said...

Absolutely scrumptious grungy textured panel - it's so evocative of ancient travel - amazing!
Alison xx

Candy C said...

Astrid, this tag is beautiful! So many great techniques here. Thank you for sharing! I love the look of simply pretty your paper into the gel medium and pulling it up! You are right...the Walnut Stain no spray really did a gorgeous job of aging your tag. The added stenciling with the modeling paste was a great addition. I don't know if you planned this ir not but your book text below your beautiful ship stamp reminds me of the moon's reflection on the water. I love that! Gorgeous tag!

Marjie Kemper said...

Oh, Astrid, what a gorgeous tag. Love the rich colors and the way the text adds lightness. Beautiful!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Love that texture! The image really does look amazing with those colours as your background!! Chrisx

Deb said...

Amazing Astrid, the depth of colour and textures on your backgrounds never cease to amaze me, I just want to dive right into them! Love your take on the theme of travel, just gorgeous.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

One World One Heart

Photo

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Birthday Card

Birthday Card
Just got a whole lot of new stamps from a brilliant place called the Stamp Smith. This is the image that I first saw on Docraft and really liked. I asked the friend who has used it in an ATC, where she got it. Well she borrowed it from a friend who got it from ebay as a one off. But.... it had a title. I googled the title, and hey presto found the site. They have great stamps and offer a really friendly fast service. I highly recommend them!

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch, the Key

Gothic Arch, the Key